If the sun won’t shine and the weather won’t cooperate, why not add a little pop of color to your outfit?
Entries Tagged as 'Style'
With New York and London Fashion Weeks all over, and as we head into Milan and Paris, excitement for the fall is all a buzz on the internet. Of course it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the fashion fabulousness, so that’s why we’re here to help! This week we have some excellent recaps of NYFW and even a NYFW vs. LFW street style walk-off! It’s pretty hard to choose between the two, both being sooo good. If you’re already burnt out from the fashion week talk, we do have some excellent style posts too, so check them out!
Links à la Mode: February 20th
- A Vintage Covered: Ways to Wear a Maxi Skirt
- Beauty and Sass: Four Fall 2014 Fashion Week Beauty Trends to Try Now
- DressCode:HighFashion: Top 10 SS14 Mens Suits
- Hazel Eye Personality: NYFW FW14 Part One
- Head 2 Heels: 15 Ways to Rock a Heart Print
- Homes & Heels: NYFW Street Style Look for Less
- Hunting in Heels: The Men Behind the Lens
- Inside Out Blog: Understanding Undertones and Ageing
- Lara Lizard: My Annoying Ethnic Features!
- Metallic Paws: Fun Prints for Summer 2014
- Nothing 2 Wear Novello: What The Heck Is Pantone?
- Purushu Arie: Tradition vs. Innovation in Fashion
- Simply Frabulous: Stockholm AW14 Klamborn’s Fashion Tribe
- Style Bizarre: My Love/Hate for Affiliate Programs
- Style Context: A Collection of Contrasts: Noon by Noor Fall 2014
- Style Curated: Fashion In Conversation: Zac Posen
- Style Vanity: 10 DIYs to Re-purpose your Valentine’s Day Flowers
- The Stylist: Fashion Stylist: Making Something Out of Nothing
- Trend Survivor: NYFW vs. LFW Street Style
- We Are Ready Made: The Girls Who Run The World
Want to be featured in Links à la Mode?
Here’s another Fashion Week street style look that caught my eye. I always struggle with wearing pink because it seems too girly-girl for me but I love the way she’s toughened it up with a monochromatic navy ensemble and ultra-modern white heels:
Check back tomorrow for one last Look for Less!
image credit: Harpers Bazaar
These days, Fashion Week is just as much about the style outside of the big tents as what’s walking down the ramps. But for budget-conscious sartorialists, the amazing outfits seen on fashion magazine editors, celebrities and others invited to these shows, will probably seem as out of reach as Stella McCartney’s latest collection.
But never fear! I’m here to break down a few of my favorite street style outfits from New York Fashion Week and London Fashion Week and help you find cheaper alternatives to pull the looks together.
Today’s look is all about complementing textures and colors:
Keep checking in all week long for more Looks for Less!
image credit: Harpers Bazaar
Homes & Heels is all about being stylish on a budget so I’m always scouring different sites to make sure I pay the absolute best price for anything that I buy. But to help us all be bargain-savvy shoppers, I put together a round-up of the most stylish (and most affordable) coats that I found during Asos’ mega sale:
1. Oversized Multistitch Coat: I’m obsessed with this rich teal color. The oversized shape is a great contrast to the luxurious color and would look great paired over a midi dress with ankle boots.
2. Striped Ovoid Coat: Who says brown and black can’t be worn together? The color combination will go with everything, making it the perfect everyday staple.
3. Contrast Sleeve Double Breasted Coat: This “borrowed from the boys” coat can be dressed down with a pair of distressed jeans or dressed up with a A-line patterned skirt and crop top underneath.
4. Boyfriend Peacoat: Looking for something more fun on the weekend? This coat is such a fun color and a great frame to showcase a statement necklace.
Still on the lookout for boots? Check out my roundup of Best of Sale: Boots Edition from a couple weeks ago.
Have I mentioned that I love post-holiday sales? I’m still reaping the benefits of stores over-estimating how much people will spend on Christmas gifts and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. One of my latest purchases was a cream Rachel by Rachel Roy blouse with billowy sleeves and…feathers! I styled it with my usual approach, toughening up the feminine blouse with a military green vest with leather details. Paired with my latest go-to pair of heels, I love this outfit – a classic color combination with unexpected details.
Dear polar vortex,
You thought you could kill all sartorial inspiration. Forcing us to wear four pants and ten sweaters in your below freezing temperatures. But we don’t give up that easily. We might take our photo shoots inside and wear a beanie indoors but nothing is going to stop us from wearing a cute royal blue midi skirt with an embellished sweater. Oh, and how can we forget the color blocking action going on with those yellow booties? Yup, we won this round. Your move, polar vortex.
Homes & Heels is all about being stylish on a budget so I’m always scouring different sites to make sure I pay the absolute best price for anything that I buy. But to help us all be bargain-savvy shoppers, I put together a round-up of the most stylish (and most affordable) boots that I found around the web:
1. Shay Boot: What’s better than a pair of boots that can go with all of your ensembles? This black and brown pair is the perfect one-stop shop.
2. Jeno Bootie: I tend to wear a lot of darker colors in the winter so I snagged a pair of these as the perfect pop of color.
3. Clary Bootie: For all of those West Coast and Southern readers, these would look stunning with a chic blazer and a pair of boyfriend jeans rolled up to show this gorgeous pair.
4. Diba Elyse Bootie: Why should people from the Austin Powers era be the only ones who get to wear white boots? Pair this modern interpretation with a colorful coat, skinny jeans and a white manicure.
5. Brit Ankle Boot: When in doubt, you can always go with the timeless black and gold combination. As versatile as they are, this is the easiest pair to dress up or down.
6. Mabel Boot: Navy and black together are so Euro-chic. Complete the look with a black fedora and a sophisticated sweater dress.
A few days before the heavy snowfall in Chicago it almost felt like spring in the city. You could see the brownish grass, a couple birds were chirping – hey, I’ll take what I can get. It was just warm enough to squeeze in a quick photo shoot with one of my favorite color combos – burgundy and navy. I paired my striped cardigan with a bejeweled blouse and to toughen up the look, added faded blue jeans and black leather booties.
You’ve heard me talk about how much I love the black and white trend before and I fell even more head over heels with it when I came across this quirky heart printed T-shirt (also worn here). It’s become one of the most versatile pieces in my wardrobe and seemed the perfect piece to bring back my Day to Night series of style posts.
I’m lucky enough to work in an office environment that has a “jeans & heels” type of dress code so I paired the t-shirt with another funky piece that I picked up from Zara, a green jacket trimmed out in “leather.” To keep the casual vibe, I tucked the t-shirt into a pair of frayed ankle jeans but added long black earrings and pointed toe flats for a touch of glamour.
Jacket: Zara/T-shirt: Zara/Jeans: Forever 21/Earrings: Aldo/Purse: Zara/Flats: Pour la Victoire
For my nighttime look, I styled the t-shirt with a midi length full skirt in a gorgeous royal blue color. The outfit felt very feminine so to toughen it up, I added a pair of rock & roll sandals and chain chandelier earrings.
It’s my favorite time of the year – Nordstrom’s Semi-Annual Sale is here! Okay, so maybe it’s just my wallet’s favorite event but getting great items for a steal is always high on my list. I rounded up a few of my favorites from the sale and can’t wait to grab a pair or two before they’re all snatched up!
1. Jule Sandal – Pair these statement sandals with a breezy sundress to take your look from day to night.
2. Zigi Chapeau Flat – Summer slip-ons get toughened up with the addition of studs and leather, a great contrast to a pair of feminine floral jeans.
3. Dash Flat – My favorite of all these pairs, I’m planning on pairing these with skinny jeans and blazers all summer long.
4. Flawless Bootie – Get a head start on fall fashion by this reinterpretation of the black and white trend for cooler temperatures.
This weekend was all about enjoying the gorgeous, summery Chicago weather! I’ve been obsessed with my chambray jacket ever since my little DIY project and it was a total necessity to transition my day outfit into al fresco dining apparel. I picked up this bright orange midi skirt a couple of months ago at H & M and since the material is similar to neoprene, I wanted to soften its ultra-modern look with some more casual pieces. I added a cute t-shirt from Zara and then finished it off with the chambray jacket, Pour la Victoire flats (bought at the recent Gilt City warehouse sale) and a bold black and white tote. Have a great week everyone!
I came across this chambray jacket at Forever 21 a couple weeks ago and liked the medium blue of the fabric and the softness of the chambray. The added details of the zipper around the collar and the epaulettes kept it from looking too basic so I decided I needed to have it as a spring cover-up. Only problem? The gaudy jewels scattered on the pockets. I decided that it was easily fixable by spending a few extra dollars.
I picked up a cheap white nail polish at the local drugstore and applied thin coats to each one of the colored jewels but left the clear jewels as is for some added visual interest. Once they were dry, I added a top coat just the way you would to your nails for some added shine and now I have a jacket that’s perfectly on-trend with the combination of chambray and white accents!
I think the floral jeans trend was made for Midwesterners. Forget the fashion capitals of the world, we’ve been craving warmer temperatures and spring blossoms for months now – and if the weather won’t cooperate why not add a dose of spring to your wardrobe?
Floral jeans come in all different varieties of colors and patterns but this pair from Gap immediately caught my eye. I love the mix of colors – perfect for creating a ton of different outfits (and sticking to a budget!) – and the soft, abstract look of the design. I paired it with a soft blue t-shirt and a sleeveless blazer, and added pops of color with my chartreuse sandals and glam jewelry making it a great day to night look.
Clutch: Forever 21/Sandals: Prabal x Target